Moving into Stillness
- a 3-day residential retreat near Wellington, 13- 16 July
212 Old Hautere Road,
$490 includes 3 nights' accommodation, meals and tuition
There are a limited number of single rooms available, for a surcharge of $45
Mindfulness, the art of accessing the power of the ‘now’, is a wonderful way of calming your body, replenishing your energy, and cultivating joy and wellbeing. If you have the tendency to lose yourself in over-thinking, or would simply relish time for balance and restoration, join me in this beautiful and supportive setting for a blend of mindfulness meditation and qi gong practices.
Qi gong is an ancient Taoist system designed to improve the flow of energy in the body, create vitality and concentrate the mind. The qi gong practices we will learn include qi gong warm ups, qi gong self-massage, the six Taoist healing sounds, a compassion practice, and a moving form. These will be practices you can take away and use at home to relax and revitalise your body and mind.
You are welcome to join as much or as little of the scheduled programme as you wish; this is a retreat in which none of the usual social expectations are placed on you. It offers you a very rare chance for you to come home to the OK-ness of yourself, just as you are. We will begin each morning with stretches and meditation before breakfast, and finish each evening with a qi gong "sounds" practice to relax the organs of the body and to prepare for sleep. There will be time out for reflection and walking, and vegetarian meals and snacks are all provided. The retreat will be mostly in silence for participants, as an aid to coming home to yourself, though there will be times for questions and sharing reflections/insights.
We begin with a light meal at 6pm on Friday 13 July, and finish after lunch on Monday 16 July. You may arrive any time from 4pm on the Friday.
There is no religion, dogma or belief systems proposed in this retreat. Emphasis is given not to theory, but to your own experience. The retreat is suitable for beginners, and for those with experience in mindfulness meditation and qi gong.
- More vital energy (qi) flowing in your body
- Greater awareness of the ways you block your inherent happiness
- Opportunity to let go, relax and unwind
- Better sleep and improved wellbeing
- Improved mental/emotional balance
You will learn and practise:
- The art of being present, in stillness and movement
- Qi gong warm ups and stretches
- Sitting and walking meditation
- The six Taoist "healing sounds" for greater well being
- Self-compassion meditation ("the inner smile")
- Qi gong practices that you can take home and use as practical tools for well being and stress reductions
This is a hugely valuable opportunity to create more intimacy with yourself. There will be time for you to reflect, to write, to consider.... to eat healthy vegetarian food... to be still.... and to benefit from the input of an experienced mindfulness and qi gong guide.
"I enjoyed all the teachings in this 3-day retreat. I came expecting silence and a few stretches. By the end I gained so much more. It was a wealth of experience for me. Rachel is a kind and compassionate teacher... "
D. Haberdank, Auckland
"I enjoyed the balance of qi gong dynamic meditation, the sitting-still meditation, the mindfulness walking and the artistic offerings of poems, music and dance… The meditation sessions held a 'sit with me' invitation and the number of sessions during the retreat helped deepen my meditation practice. And I learnt the importance of returning my mind from wandering and that this was a natural occurrence.
"I liked the rhythm of life on the retreat with bells calling us to meditation and meals. I found the practice of being together in silence together both novel and refreshing. I feel I have experienced mindfulness practice that I can take from the retreat to my everyday life. A heartfelt thank you for sharing your wisdom, life experiences and spiritual practice, Rachel."
- Gloria Henderson, Wellington
"Rachel has amazing facilitation and teaching skills, and I never fail to learn new things from her retreats.
I’ve followed Rachel for some years now because of her groundedness and her ability to teach. Rachel’s focus on holistic wellness has taught me much about integrating meditation and body work into my life. She’s enabled me to connect mind, body and spirit in the most delightful, fun and useful ways. I come away from her retreats renewed, refreshed and reinvigorated."
- Jane McCann, Wellington
"The combination of meditation and movement/body work with (mostly) silence was perfect for this 50-year old man. I left the retreat feeling lighter, moving slower and with an unfamiliar quietness in my head."
- Rob Cherry, Wellington
"Rachel offers a lovely, warm, lively space in which you can become acquainted with your own mind and body."
- C Maidment, Hutt Valley
- Full refunds are provided up to 2 weeks before any course or retreat starts.
- 50% refunds are provided if you cancel within 2 weeks of a course or retreat starting.
- You may transfer your booking to a later retreat, but if this is within 2 weeks of the event, there will be a 10% admin fee (10% of the cost of the cancelled course) incurred
- If a deposit has been paid to secure a place, $25 of that deposit is forfeited per person in the case of any cancellation prior to 2 weeks before the retreat.