I’m glad that you’re joining me for the 3-day retreat, Moving into Stillness, from 13 - 16 July at Strathean Retreat Centre in Otaki. It will offer you the opportunity to let go of everyday responsibilities and routines, to slow down, and to open to a deeper wisdom that can emerge from a clear quiet place of being. There’s usually a natural process of stilling that happens over the three days. The retreat will be mostly in silence (for participants - there will be full instruction), so that we can really be with ourselves without the usual distractions of talking, presenting ourselves in a favourable light, and interacting with others. However we'll be talking the first evening, the last session and Monday lunch time, and each day there'll be a session for questions, comments and the sharing of reflections and insights
There also will be time out for reflection, walking, resting and writing.
BY CAR: Take SH1 north from Wellington. About 2.5 kms past the Te Horo Beach intersection turn right into Old Hautere Road. You will have passed the Winemakers Daughter, Hydroponics Supply and Zaminka Dog Motel. Strathean House is on the right about 2 kms down Old Hautere Road (number 212).
If you miss the turnoff and the traffic prevents you from turning easily, keep driving! Take the next right into Otaki Gorge Road (just before crossing the Otaki River). Follow the road and take the first right into Old Hautere Rd. Strathean House is now on the left hand side.
The gate may be closed when you arrive; just leave it closed again behind you if that's the case. There is plenty of parking on the grass opposite the main entrance to the house.
BY TRAIN: Please let me know if you will be arriving by train, and then text or ring with the time so that we can pick you up from Otaki railway station.
things to bring
- Sheets and bedding (or a sleeping bag) and pillow
- Warm socks or slippers (the house is shoe-free)
- If you like an extra layer on the carpet for the lying-down practices, a yoga mat or similar
- Meditation cushion or stool if you have a favourite one (some are available, as are chairs)
- Blanket for the evening sessions
- There are baths, so bring your favourite essential oils
- A journal and pen, if you want to write
- Loose, warm, comfortable, casual clothes, and plenty of layers to allow for warming up and cooling down
Please note that some people react to strong perfumes, which are therefore not suitable for a retreat like this.
things to note
You may arrive any time from 4pm on Friday 13 July to allow yourself time to settle in. We'll have a light meal of soup and bread at 6.30pm, so it's a good idea to leave the city early to avoid the traffic if you're driving from Wellington. We'll finish about 2pm on Monday 16 July If you intend to arrive later than 6.30 pm on the Friday night, or need to leave early, please let me know..
Meals are healthy and vegetarian and we can arrange to meet special dietary needs if you let us know in advance.
Please note that Strathean House is a drug, alcohol and smoke-free venue.
I'll be updating this page with the phone number for Strathean Retreat Centre closer to the time.
If I can be of any further help, or if you have any questions about the retreat, please contact me by e-mail: email@example.com
You can also ring me on 021 473 012
I'm looking forward to meeting you, or seeing you again.
- Full refunds are provided up to 2 weeks before any course or retreat starts.
- 50% refunds are provided if you cancel within 2 weeks of a course or retreat starting.
- You may transfer your booking to a later retreat, but if this is within 2 weeks of the event, there will be a 10% admin fee incurred. (10% of the fee for the retreat you can't make)
There are several things which in my experience help maximize the benefits of a short retreat like this one. Here are my suggestions:
- Set a clear intention, or intentions, for the weekend
- Arrive as well-rested as you can so that you have energy on board for the practices
- If you're used to having large amounts of coffee, sugar, junk food or alcohol, it may be good to cut down a bit for the week before the retreat. For most people too much of these work against the calming effect of meditation and qi gong. Having said that, there will be coffee available!
- Turn your cell phone off and don’t use it or check messages for the duration of the retreat. I will provide a landline phone number for use in any emergency for you to give whanau members, and the caretaker at Strathean Retreat Centre will let you know if anyone needs to get in touch with you urgently
- Bring a journal if you have one, and use it to record insights, dreams or reflections that you can go back to after the retreat
how to get to Strathean
Strathean Retreat Centre is at 212 Old Hautere Rd, Te Horo.