... I'm glad you'll be joining me for the 3-day Mindfulness, Qi Gong and Self-Compassion retreat, starting on Friday 20 April at the lovely Aio Wira retreat centre in the Waikakere Ranges near Auckland.
Mindfulness, the art of accessing the power of the 'now', is a wonderful means of calming your body and cultivating wellbeing. The retreat will be an opportunity for you to let go of everyday responsibilities and routines, to slow down, and to open to a deeper wisdom that can emerge from a clear quiet place of being. There’s usually a natural process of stilling that happens over the three days. The retreat will mostly be in silence for participants, (though I'll be speaking to offer instruction, guidance and reflections). The silence will enable you to really be with yourself without the usual distractions of talking, presenting oneself in a favourable light, and interacting with others.
We will be exploring a blend of mindfulness meditation and qi gong practices centred around the theme of self-compassion. Qi gong is a wonderful Taoist system designed to improve the flow of energy in the body, create vitality and concentrate the mind.
There also will be time out for reflection and walks in the beautiful native bush as well as simple vegetarian meals and access to a sauna and spa.
There are several things which in my experience help maximize the benefits of a retreat like this one. Here are my suggestions:
- Set a clear intention or intentions for the three days
- Arrive as well-rested as you can so that you have energy on board for the practices
- Cut down on excess coffee, sugar, junk food and alcohol for at least three days before the retreat. For most people these substances work against the calming effect of mindfulness meditation and qi gong.
- Bring a journal if you find it useful to record insights, dreams or reflections that you can go back to after the retreat
- There is no cell phone coverage or WIFI available at Aio Wira
- Bring your open mind and a willingness to be vulnerable to whatever arises in you during the three days.
You may arrive any time from 4pm on Friday 20 April. We will begin with a light meal that day at 6pm. We will finish in the early afternoon on Monday 24th April). If you intend to arrive later than 5.30 pm please let Di, the centre manager at Aio Wira and the person who will be looking after us, know.
things to note
You may arrive any time from 4pm onwards; please allow yourself time to settle in. We will begin with a simple shared supper at 6pm to begin the retreat. Leave early to avoid the traffic.
Meals are vegetarian wholefood and we can arrange to meet special dietary needs if you let us know in advance.
Please note that Aio Wira is alcohol, smoke and drug free.
how to get to Aio Wira
For Google maps directions, please click here:
BY CAR: Take the North West Motorway and exit left into Lincoln Rd(follow signs to Swanson). At the second set of traffic lights at the Lincoln North Centre, turn right onto Universal Drive. When you come to the roundabout take the second exit.
Follow this road through Ranui and Swanson, then bear left ontoScenic Drive North. Stay on this road for 3 kms. Just after Cassels Function Centre turn right into Te Henga Rd. Stay on this road for 2.8 kms, through the old quarry. Aio Wira Rd is opposite the quarry entrance on the left. Drive slowly to the end of the road.
BY TRAIN: Take the Waitakere Suburban Service from the main station in Auckland to Swanson Station (last stop). There is no service on a Sunday. Phone Tranz Metro (09) 270 5143 for times. We can collect you from the station by arrangement.
things to bring:
- Sheets and a pillow case, or a sleeping bag (Aio Wira provides pillows and blankets)
- A towel
- Warm socks (the meeting rooms and dining room are shoe-free)
- A yoga mat or something warm to lie on for the lying-down practices
- Meditation cushion or stool if you have a favourite one (some are available, as are chairs)
- Meditation shawl or blanket if you have one (blankets available)
- A torch and spare batteries
- A journal, if you decide to bring one
- Your togs, for the spa and river
- Walking boots or sturdy shoes for the local tracks and bush walks
- Loose, warm, comfortable, casual clothes, and plenty of layers to allow for warming up and cooling down
- Some people react to strong perfumes which are therefore not suitable for a retreat like this.
- Full refunds are provided up to 2 weeks before any course or retreat starts.
- 50% refunds are provided if you cancel within 2 weeks of a course or retreat starting.
- You may transfer your booking to a later retreat, but if this is within 2 weeks of the event, there will be a 10% admin fee incurred.
contact details for Aio Wira
P.O.Box 95 033 Swanson Waitakere City 0653
Phone (09) 810 9396 Fax (09) 810 8269
If I can be of any further help or you have any questions about the retreat, please contact me (Rachel) by e-mail or ring 021 473 012
I'm looking forward to meeting you, or seeing you again.